Thursday, June 30, 2011

Snap, Crackle, & Pop go Gluten-Free!

I recently got together with some old friends, and it was awesome!  Maybe you know them, too:  Snap, Crackle and Pop.  Several years ago, when I was first diagnosed with this silly Celiac disease, I had to end my friendship with this zany trio, and a lot of other old pals from my childhood (Tony the Tiger, the Trix Rabbit, Cap'n Crunch and the Lucky Charms leprechaun, to name a few.)  But thanks to Kellogg's, who recently released gluten-free Rice Krispies, the boys and I are once again sharing the breakfast table.  These new Krispies are made from brown rice and they are just as great as you remember them to be.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure they'll make great Rice Krispie Treats, too.


Some other gluten-free surprises I've come across lately are Mike's Lite Hard Lemonade in lemonade and cranberry lemonade flavors, lots and lots of Zatarain's mixes (22 varieties!!!),  Kikkoman just introduced a gluten-free soy sauce (YAY!), and California Pizza Kitchen now offers a gluten-free crust.  Slowly but surely, my GF friends, the food manufacturers are listening to us.  Keep demanding, don't settle.  Who knows?  Someday we may be able to walk into a McDonald's and order a GF burger.

No comments: