Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mama Mia!


I am Italian, through and through, so my celiac diagnosis 7 years ago really threw my whole family into a major tizzy. We are the kind of family that has pasta twice a week - Thursdays at home and Sundays with the whole extended clan. Not only pasta, but nice fresh Italian bread. For the past few years, I'd just sit there, pathetically, while my big, noisy family enjoyed their Sunday dinner. Yes, I know there's GF pasta out there. I'm pretty sure I've tried them all. The best of them are okay; the worst, let's just say I'd rather cook the box they came in and eat that with sauce on it.


However (you knew the however was coming, right?), Conte's has a line of frozen pastas that are just out of this world. Yes, they're a bit pricey, but man oh man, it's worth it. Especially if you're a mama mia like me and you've been missing your spaghettis, rigatonis and raviolis.

The ravioli is just like you remember it, maybe even better. The ricotta cheese filling is light and delicious and the pasta tastes like...well, pasta. There is a spinach and ricotta ravioli as well, I just haven't tried it yet. They also offer wonderful stuffed shells and some great onion & potato pierogi and a light potato gnocchi.

I've been buying my Conte's at Mom's Bake at Home Pizza ( http://www.momsbakeathome.com/), but it's also available online (check out my Amazon store, to the right.)

My grandmom, who, up until she passed away at the ripe old age of 96, made fresh, homemade pasta every single Sunday of my life, would have to agree...Conte's is delizioso!

No comments: